Friday, March 7, 2008

New Bike Parts!

Nothing makes your bike happier than outfitting it with a whole new component group. The rest of my components cam in and I had a chance to install them before heading down to Ohio for the end of my Spring break. I had some plans for some long road rides, but weather would not cooperate, just like it has been doing all winter, so I tried out the new SRAM Force group on the trainer. The preliminary thoughts are that SRAM got it right the first time with this group. The shifting has a stiffer tactile response than Shimano and after a couple of minutes, you get used to the double tap system. I was not surprised with the functionality because I have been a SRAM proponent since the inception of Gripshift (and yes that dates me a little.) Overall the bike is much sweeter, and break was great for all the galivanting around town off the bike. Now if only my headset would come in, then I could gush about the 'cross bike...

2 comments:

Chris said...

Should've gone with the SRAM Red group. It was probably only what, twice the price of the Force group? I can't believe they want $2K for that. I would hope it performs twice as good.

You should throw up some pictures of both bikes after your headset comes in. If you just can't wait for the King, the Bike Snob has found a reasonably priced one for you on ebay:

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2008/03/bsnyc-tuesday-fun-quiz.html

Just scroll down a little and you'll find it.

Marty Brown said...

Dura Ace is at $1700, so I don't see a problem with $2K for Red. Plus the cassette alone is something like $300 but oh so worth it! We had one in the shop the other day, SWEEEET componentry...

BTW the Shimano 600 headset is stated as "vintage 80's." Can we really call anything from the 80's vintage.